40 Things I Love
Kyrie Gray tagged me to write about 40 things I love. I’m trying to write a lot this month, so I’m not one to pass up a story idea.
It’s almost Valentine’s Day, and love is on everyone’s minds. You could even say this is the season for love. I’m actually working on an article about how Valentine’s Day is really commercialized, and we should focus on what really makes us happy … but I digress.
Here are 40 things I love! (And some in the middle that I strongly like, because it’s hard to get to 40 things.)
- Coffee. A day is not complete unless it starts with coffee. I always make my own at home; coffee you can buy in shops is too hot and sugary.
- Chocolate. I can’t live without chocolate. I know most people love chocolate, but I usually eat way too much of it. Any type of chocolate will do: milk, dark; chocolate in bars, cookies, pies … okay, now I’m hungry.
- A really great book. My favorite author is Laini Taylor.
- Cats. I spoil my little cat. He’s so darn cute.
- Getting a story curated. It’s such a thrill to be chosen.
- A summer day when it’s not too hot and I don’t have any home maintenance to do. (This is rare. I think I last had one of these in 2015.)
- When all of my homework is done, it’s the end of the semester and I have my weekends to myself.
- Thrift shopping. I buy almost all of my clothes secondhand. It saves a lot of money, and I can upgrade to higher quality pieces. No more static-y, hot polyester blouses for me.
- I like to garden, growing flowers and vegetables from seeds. It’s a lot of work, though.
- Decluttering. It might sound weird, but I love cleaning out junk and making space. As a result, I don’t buy much new stuff. You’d think it saves a lot of money, but I’m a millennial so merely existing is expensive.
- Baking. This also goes along with my love of chocolate, but I like baking bread, pies, cakes, blondies (like brownies, but no chocolate) and cookies. I’m actually surprised that I haven’t written about this on Medium yet. That’s a good idea for a post.
- Music. I love music. My favorite band right now is Pink Floyd. I’m also a big Halsey fan.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. I’m a huge fan of hers, and I can’t believe she’s younger than me and a Congresswoman. I think it’s important for young people to go into politics. People in their 70s and 80s have a lot of experience, but they don’t understand issues people in their 20s and 30s are facing right now.
- Photography. Admittedly, the only camera I have right now is my phone, but if I earn more money, I want to get some Moment lenses and use more of my own photography for my stories.
- Google Keep. It is absolutely a lifesaver when it comes to jotting down ideas and organizing my stories and the photos I’ve selected.
- I’m going to have to agree with Kyrie and say shorter lists. Is anyone even still reading this?
- Strawberries. They’re my favorite fruit! Oddly enough, I can’t stand blueberries, and I am allergic to latex, so bananas and avocados are a no go. (I can’t eat avocado toast, so am I really a millennial?)
- When you go to an event and you’re about to buy a ticket and someone says, “Do you need a ticket? We have an extra one we can’t use, and you can have it for free.” This happened to me in the early 2000s and I’m still amazed.
- This emoji: 😍
- Peacocks … I don’t know why, they just look so darn beautiful. I’ve heard that actually having a peacock is a pain, though.
- Videos of cute animals, especially baby animals.
- When I have a great idea and can write a 750-word story and have it posted right away.
- When I find the perfect image for a story.
- Winter days when it doesn’t snow.
- Winter days when it’s 50 degrees F, or warmer.
- A really great movie! I haven’t seen many movies I like lately.
- Unexpected royalty checks! When I get an email that says, “Hey, this thing you wrote made money.” Cha-ching!
- San Francisco. I wish I could live there!
- Marzipan. It’s candy made from almonds.
- Pizza! I could eat pizza every day. One time in 3rd grade, a teacher told me pizza was unhealthy, and I was really upset.
- Ice cream. Or gelato! It’s so good.
- A really good veggie burger. (Can you tell it’s lunchtime?)
- Articles … I love reading, and articles have been my latest jam. I probably spend an hour or more reading them, every day.
- When I go grocery shopping and end up in a really fast line. Slow lines are the worst!
- Claps. I love getting and giving claps on Medium. It’s basically a message saying, Hey, I liked this. Here’s some money!
- Did I mention chocolate? OK, but I’m mentioning it again.
- A really nice notebook.
- Getting a test back with a grade of 100.
- Writing! Obviously, because I’m on Medium. I write almost every day.
- My husband, goes without saying! He supports my crazy ambitions. (Hey, what if I go to grad school for like, 5 years? And then also try to be a writer? Awesome.)
I challenge anyone who wants to write a list, to write a list!